BOOK REVIEWS

      I have dispensed with my 'Books of the Year' postings  which covered the years 2009 and 2010, and now attempt to review a selection of books that I have read both good and bad, in editions old and new. Much of what I buy is often based on suggestions by others, or some train of thought that makes me think "maybe I should try..." so they are not necessarily all strange/supernatural fiction.
       With many small press books costing around £35-£40 each, and some seemingly worthy tomes changing hands on the second hand market for many times that, these reviews may also give the potential purchaser some indication of what they might receive for their money. Needless to say, my opinions should not be given any great value as I bring my own foibles to every review and these may change at any time.



Karim Khahwagi 'Amerika'
(Passport Levant 2011)
63pp ($55.00)


      Passport Levant titles tend to fall into two categories. One set are straightforward fictions with beginnings, middles and ends, the other set are more 'difficult'. This might be considered to be (almost) in the latter camp.

     There is a tale, and a resolution to that tale but some readers may wonder what on earth it all means and perhaps come to the conclusion that its not worth attempting to find out. However, all becomes very clear if one has previously read Mikhail Bulgakovs 'Master and Margarita' (or even a good synopsis) and then the whole disappearance of America and wives, cats and the nature of reality, make some sort of sense. Sadly, if you haven't read it then you have a tougher and, it must be said, less enjoyable read as Ghahwagi has taken this text as his starting point. The author has a good brisk style and good humourous imagination, though the latter is not as aspect that appeals much to me in strange fiction. Of course this is yet another very nicely produced book in the manner we have come to expect from Passport Levant. It is a joy to handle. 

     I am afraid that this book sits rather uneasily with me and this is not the fault of the author. This item would, to my mind be far more happily in the forthcoming Ex-Occidente anthology of homages to Bulgakov, as it has such specific associations with that author. The Ex-Occidente website does say that Ghahwagi has a second novella in that volume. It will be interesting to compare the tales and try and work out why 'Amerika' became a stand-alone as I cannot say that this novella is so remarkable as to warrent such lavish treatment. A second or even third tale wouldn't have done this volume any harm; it is impossible to tell if this author has more in his reportoire based on this single offering. It is also a pretty slender tome for your money at a mere 18 lines per page but Passport levant has never been for the cost concious.


     The E.O. link is here but given their ongoing mailing problems, I would recommend it is bought via a dealer such as Cold Tonnage.