BOOK REVIEWS

      I have dispensed with my 'Books of the Year' postings  which covered the years 2009 and 2010, and now attempt to review a selection of books that I have read both good and bad, in editions old and new. Much of what I buy is often based on suggestions by others, or some train of thought that makes me think "maybe I should try..." so they are not necessarily all strange/supernatural fiction.
       With many small press books costing around £35-£40 each, and some seemingly worthy tomes changing hands on the second hand market for many times that, these reviews may also give the potential purchaser some indication of what they might receive for their money. Needless to say, my opinions should not be given any great value as I bring my own foibles to every review and these may change at any time.



Richard Kaczynski 'Perdurabo' 
(North Atlantic Books 2010)


      This book was previously reviewed by myself as one of my 'Books Of The Year 2010'.

      Everyone knows who Aleister Crowley is and there are no shortage of biographies ranging from the scurrilous (John Symonds) to the rubbish (Roger Hutchinson). For anyone who wants a thorough overview of this influential figure, Kaczynskis bulky volume supercedes all the previous biographies and will thus more than suffice.

     Kaczynski is a student (and one assumes, practitioner) of Crowleys system and this could be a recipe for disaster but, to his immense credit, he avoids this enormous pitfall and presents a very balanced overview of this complex and driven character. Crowley had many talents, offset by some remarkable blind spots and the author illuminates both sides.

      Is it definitive as many suggest? No. For the truely fastideous who must know everything, there are Crowleys own diaries and 'Confessions', plus other books which draw upon his numerous letters.

      Does that mean this biography will thus be superceded? I think not. This edition is the expanded version, and if I have any reservations over this volume it might be that it is in every sense, too exhaustive. However I doubt this will be a problem to many. 

      'Perdurabo' is readily available everywhere but North Atlantic Books direct link is here.